The Stumptown Comics Fest Trophy Awards works to bring recognition to the amazing and creative writers, artists, and publishers that the Stumptown Comics Foundation strives to support. Publications under review for these awards were been submitted by the various talented folk involved in the Stumptown Comics Fest event. Submissions were judged not by a panel of "professionals", but by those attending the Fest on Saturday, April 24, meaning the trophies were awarded based on the popular vote of actual comics fans. Without further ado...
...congratulations to the winners of this year's Stumptown Comics Fest Trophy Awards!
- Outstanding Debut: The Complete Ouija Interviews, Sarah Becan
- Outstanding Writing: Boilerplate, Paul Guinan & Anina Bennett
- Outstanding Art: Boilerplate, Paul Guinan
- Outstanding Small Press: Bearfight!, BT Livermore
- Outstanding Publication Design: Panorama, Stephenny Godfrey
- Outstanding D.I.Y.: Bearfight!, BT Livermore
- Outstanding Webcomic: Wondermark, David Malki
- Mystery Award: Portland mayor Sam Adams, in recognition of his naming April as Comic Book month for the third consecutive year
This year, the Trophy Awards ceremony was hosted by podcaster Bobby "Fatboy" Roberts, cartoonist Carolyn Main, and Shannon Wheeler (of The New Yorker and Too Much Coffee Man fame), and was held Saturday night at Cosmic Monkey Comics.
The awards ceremony was followed by the ever-popular and rowdy Comic Art Battle. Hosted by local Marvel comics scribe Jeff Parker, the Comic Art Battle has been described as a cross between Pictionary and professional wrestling... and it was definitely not a scene to miss for those involved in the independent comics scene. We hear there was even a "dance off" tie-breaker!
Our appreciation goes out not only to those who coordinated the event, but to all who submitted their work for review, and to the comics fans who entered their votes. Thanks you all, and we hope to see you again next year!